MS Core Requirements
In addition to all Office of Graduate Studies requirements for the master’s degree, the department also requires the following:
- Thirty-two semester hours of approved graduate courses
- At least 2 semester hours of CS 592 (2. Colloquium), taken at the University of New Mexico.
- At least 26 of the 32 hours must be in courses offered by the Computer Science Department at the 500 level or above. Students graduating under Plan I must take a minimum of 6 hours of CS 599 and submit an acceptable thesis. Only 6 hours of CS 599 may be counted toward the 32 hours.
- Completion of a minimum of two courses from each category below:
- Mathematical methods — CS 500, 530, 550, 558, 561.
- Empirical methods — CS 512, 523, 527, 529,any course in complex adaptive systems (contact department for a list of acceptable courses).
- Engineering/System Building methods – CS 544, 554, 564, 580, 585, 587.
- Passing the master’s examination. For Plan I students, the master’s examination is the defense of thesis. For Plan II students, the master’s examination is an oral examination demonstrating mastery of the core areas above.